Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
Switch up your regular spaghetti and tomato sauce game with his delicious oil-free roasted red pepper pasta!
Prep Time35 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 People
- 5 red bell peppers cut in half, cored, and de-seeded
- 1 454 g package of brown rice spaghetti or your favourite spaghetti
- 1 medium yellow onion diced into small chunks
- 4 medium garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups mushrooms diced into medium sized pieces
- 3 medium tomatoes diced into small chunks
- 150 ml can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil roughly chopped
- additional basil for garnish
- 5 minute vegan parmesan for garnish or store bought vegan parmesan (this is optional but really adds to the dish)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking tray with parchment or aluminum foil.
Cut the bell peppers in half and remove the seeds and core. Place the peppers with the skin facing upwards on the baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes. You want the skin to get charred, but watch so that it doesn't over-burn. The skin will start to peel away from the peppers and there will be a lot of black char marks. This is what you want! Your kitchen will also be filled with the glorious smell of roasted red peppers.
While the peppers are roasting, fill a large pot with water for your pasta and bring it to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. When the pasta is finished, drain the noodles and rinse them under cold water. Set aside.
In a large pan (I actually like to use a jumbo wok), heat the onion and garlic with about a half cup of water. If you don't care for oil free recipes, you can use coconut oil, olive oil, etc...). Sautee the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and sautee for 10 minutes on low heat. You may need to add another 1/2 cup of water if it evaporates. Add the tomato paste and the seasonings and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
When the peppers are done cooking, pulse them just a few times in a blender until it breaks down into a chunky paste. Add them to your sauce.
Add the fresh basil and pasta noodles and toss everything to combine.
Plate the pasta and serve with additional basil and vegan parmesan if desired. Enjoy!