Vegan Meal Prep Chili
This vegan meal prep chili comes to you in collaboration with Nicolas from Blogtastic Food! Nick has gathered a bunch of food bloggers to create recipes for a meal-prep collaboration! You can check out our previous vegan dessert collaboration from last fall. Stay tuned for when I link the rest of the blogger’s recipes in a few days!
This vegan meal prep chili is a wonderful way to make a big meal at the beginning of the week to save you time and money. Now instead of having just a bowl of chili for 5 meals in a week, you can re-purpose chili in SO many ways! Some wonderful ideas include:
- Chili Bowls
- Chili Burritos
- Chili Fries
- Chili Nachos
- Stuffed Potatoes
- And more!
I love when chili is really rich and thick, and this chili is just that! It makes it a lot easier to use it for different meals because it’s more like a stew than a soup. When chili is nice and thick, you can layer it onto nachos, stuff it in a burrito or a potato, and more.
To switch up the flavour of the chili to keep it interesting with each meal, you can serve it with foods such as vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, green onions, cilantro, corn tortillas, and more.
To make chili bowls, cook your favourite grain such as quinoa, brown rice, etc… Scoop the grain onto the bottom of a bowl and then top it with chili and your favourite toppings as mentioned above.
For chili burritos, gently heat leftover chili and scoop it into a wrap. You can eat it with just the chili or you can add other ingredients like lettuce and cheese. Then wrap the burrito and either eat it right away or toast it and then serve. You can also prepare the burrito then wrap it in some tin foil so that it’s easy to transport and take to work or school for lunches!
To make chili fries, bake some potato fries and lay them on a tray. Ladle the a layer of chili on top of the fries and add any toppings that you might like. This recipe is especially great with vegan cheese. You can eat them right away or bake the tray for a couple of minutes (either way works perfectly fine). This process is the exact same for nachos!
And for stuffed potatoes, you can bake a yellow, russet, or sweet potato, slice it in half, and then stuff it with the chili. I recommend topping the stuffed potato with vegan sour cream and chopped green onion.
Vegan Meal Prep Chili
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups yellow onion roughly chopped
- 5 medium garlic cloves minced
- 2 medium bell peppers I used 1 green and 1 red
- 1 medium jalapeno with or without the seeds
- 2 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 5 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 19 oz can black beans
- 1 19 ooz can kidney beans
- 2 cups corn frozen or canned
- Heat a large pot with coconut oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and jalapeno. I personally can’t handle too much spice so I used half of the seeds in the jalapeno and the spice level was great. If you like spice, use all of the seeds. If you can’t tolerate any spice, just omit the seeds. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices. Simmer for 15 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Add the beans and corn and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Feel free to serve with toppings such as green onions or cilantro. Enjoy!