Vegan Cheese Sauce
I’ve been making this same vegan cheese sauce recipe for about 4 years and I still make it all the time because I love it so much! If you haven’t made a cheese sauce or perhaps another vegan sauce with starchy vegetables then some of the ingredients might come as a shock to you. The base of this recipe is partly cashews which provides creaminess and fat. The rest of the base comes from potatoes and carrots! These ingredients provide flavour and colour, but more importantly, the starch makes the sauce thick and rich! Spiced and nutritional yeast add a cheesy flavour.
There are so many possible uses for this cheese sauce. I love to put it on macaroni noodles to make mac & cheese. I also LOVE adding salsa and making queso, then dipping nachos into it! Add it to burritos, burgers, tacos, wraps, and other dishes. You’ll love how seriously fast and easy this recipe is. It makes a large batch which is great for if you’re making a few servings of mac & cheese for your family. If you have leftovers, you can store in them in a jar in the fridge for around a week or so.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1.5 cups yellow potato diced into small chunks
- 1.5 cups carrots diced into small chunks
- 1/2 cup onion , roughly chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup liquid from cooking the vegetables
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic and boil until potatoes are soft, about 15-20 minutes. Reserve the liquid from boiling!
- In the meantime you can add the rest of the ingredients to a blender.
- When the veggies are fork tender, transfer 1 cup of water from the pot to the blender, drain the rest of the water, and add all of the veggies.
- Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container. To re-heat leftovers, add the desired amount to a small pot with just a little bit of water. Whisk and heat gently.