Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup (With Chickpeas)
I’m obsessed with this recipe for Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup! Chickpeas make a surprisingly wonderful substitute for chicken in this soup. I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for a long time and I’m excited to finally post it. This is the perfect recipe to start off the new year right. It’s a warm, comforting, heart soup that is super healthy. I seriously love healthy comfort food, and this recipe sure fits that bill!
This recipe honestly does taste like a delicious bowl of chicken noodle soup because the broth and veggies create the majority of the flavour. Feel free to play around with herbs and spices if you like, but I love it exactly as is. Fresh parsley is delicious in most soups and that’s definitely the case in this one. Parsley is a fantastic for detoxifing the liver, and it’s even great for detoxing the body from heavy metals. If you’re looking to cleanse after the holidays then you should definitely try this vegan chicken noodle soup!
You can use any type of short pasta that you like (honestly this would be good with long pasta too). I like to keep it gluten free so I use brown rice pasta, but you can use any kind that you like!
Vegan "Chicken" Noodle Soup (With Chickpeas)
- 2 tsp coconut oil or water sautee
- 1 cup yellow onion diced (about 1/2 of a large onion)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup carrots diced into small chunks
- 1 cup celery diced into small chunks
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cup dry pasta whole grain or gluten free
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 2 medium bay leaf
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a large pot, saute the onions and garlic in the coconut oil. If you prefer oil-free cooking, you can use the water saute method.
- Add the celery and carrots and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, chickpeas, bay leaves and all of the spices except for the parsley. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and cook for another 20 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. I love brown rice noodles but you can use any kind of short pasta that you like.
- After the soup has finished cooking and the veggies are fork tender, drain and rinse the pasta and add it to the soup. Stir in the fresh parsley and serve.