Vegan Pumpkin Bread
I’m really excited to bring you this delicious vegan pumpkin bread because it’s one of my favourite desserts I’ve made in a while! It’s not quite a cake because it’s not overly sweet and it’s just a little bit more dense. Really it’s the perfect balance of spices and sweetness. I love the addition of chocolate chips and they compliment the vegan pumpkin bread really well.
I tested out an old version of this recipe and made it oil-free. Applesauce is a great ingredient to add when baking if you want to reduce oil but still keep your baked goods nice and moist and fluffy. Also, feel free to use regular sized vegan chocolate chips in the vegan pumpkin bread, and just eyeball the right amount that you want. Usually when you replace mini chocolate chips with regular sized ones, there typically isn’t enough quantity because they aren’t spread out enough throughout the batter, so just take note of that.
Make sure to use plain pumpkin puree from a can that doesn’t have any additional spices added to it since you will be adding the spices yourself. If you don’t have pre-made pumpkin spice mix, no problem! As long as you have cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, and all-spice, you can easily find a recipe for the spice mix and make it on your own.
You’re also totally welcome to roast your own sugar pumpkins and make your own pumpkin puree if you prefer that. I just like the convenience of using a can because it makes the prep for this recipe really quick and easy.
This is one of my last fall-inspired recipes for the season. Normally it’s hard for me to transition into making Christmas goodies as I don’t normally feel the holiday vibes until December, but this year fall was so short and we’re having an early winter where I live. So I’m inspired and the holiday recipes will soon be rolling out!
Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- 1 3/4 cup light spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp mini vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin spice to a large bowl. Whisk together until combined and set aside.
- Combine the pumpkin puree, almond milk, cane sugar, applesauce, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
- Mix the wet and the dry ingredients until combined, but do not over-mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the pan and bake the pumpkin bread on the center rack of the oven for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, and the top of the pumpkin bread is golden brown.
- Cool the pumpkin bread in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it. Remove it from the pan and slice and serve warm or wait to cool, then serve.