Vegan Apple Cake
This Vegan Apple Cake was inspired by my Vegan Plum Cake that I released this summer. Now that apples are in season, I wanted to re-create that recipe using the same base and use apples instead of plums. But of these recipes are European style cakes and taste just like the Polish plum and apple cakes I would make with my family as a kid.
This recipe is oil-free and you can use light spelt flour or all-purpose flour for the batter. You can use your favourite type of apple, but some apples that are really great for baking are Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Granny Smith, and Braeburn. Enjoy this fall recipe that is also great for the holiday season!
Vegan Apple Cake
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups light spelt flour or organic all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 medium apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- powdered cane sugar for dusting, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment and set aside.
- Shake the can of coconut milk before opening it. There may be a thick layer of cream and that’s completely normal. Try to shake it to mix it evenly. In a medium bowl, add the coconut milk, cane sugar, lemon juice, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, almond flour, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. If you don’t have almond flour, you can make it really easily by blending almonds in a high-speed blender such as a vitamix or blendtec. Blend then almonds then measure out 3/4 cups of the meal and sift it into the bowl with the flour.
- Add the liquid to the dry mix and whisk gently until combined, but do not over-mix the dough. Set aside.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples thinly. Place them in a bowl with 1 tsp of cinnamon and mix to coat the apples.
- Pour half of the batter in the baking pan. Place most of the apples on top of the batter to create a layer of apples in the middle of the cake (reserve enough to decorate the top).
- Pour the rest of the batter into the pan. Top and decorate it with the rest of the apple slices.
- Bake the cake for 60 minutes, or until the top of the cake is nice and golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Grab hold of the parchment and transfer the cake to a wire rack to allow it to cool completely. When it is cooled, sift some icing sugar on top if desired, but this is optional. Cut into 9 equal slices and serve.