Creamy Vegan Pasta Salad
This creamy vegan pasta salad is one of my go to recipes!! I make it all the time, especially for when I need to feed numerous people. It’s amazing for picnics, potlucks, and family gatherings. It’s also a fantastic option for meal prep and back to school. This recipe makes a very large portion, so you can cut the recipe in half and easily still serve a handful of people.
I try to minimize oil consumption whenever possible. Cashews come in handy here for a creamy, rich, tasty dressing without the need for oil or mayonnaise. However, if you can’t eat cashews, you’re more than welcome to use vegan mayonnaise as the base for the dressing and adjust the seasonings and flavours to taste.
My vegan pasta salad is really simple to make. Simply prepare pasta according to package directions, chop up your veggies, and whiz the dressing in a blender. Then toss everything to combine. It’s so quick and easy, making it the perfect filling meal to serve to friends and family, without the fuss or stress. I hope you enjoy one of my all-time favourite recipes!
Creamy Vegan Pasta Salad
- 500 g short pasta gluten free or organic wheat
- 3 large celery sticks finely chopped
- 2 medium red or orange bell peppers diced into small chunks
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion finely sliced
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Boil the pasta according to package directions. When the pasta is finished cooking, rinse it with cold water to cool it down and also to stop it from cooking any further.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop up the veggies and add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cashews, water, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the pasta and the dressing to the bowl with the veggies and toss everything to combine. Give it a taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more salt and pepper if it needs more flavour, or add more lemon if it needs more acidity. You can add additional ingredients like chopped dill pickle, cherry tomatoes, or fresh herbs to switch up the flavour. Chill until serving. Note that in my experience, if I use gluten free noodles such as rice noodles, the pasta tends to drink up the dressing quickly. So if you are planning to serve this recipe later, keep the dressing aside and add it just before serving. Otherwise, I didn't experience this with wheat noodles, so if you plan to make this recipe a day in advance, I actually suggest tossing everything and letting it sit in the fridge overnight to let the flavours intensify. Enjoy!!!