Vegan Pesto Pasta
This summer I’ve made a ton of pesto with fresh basil from my garden. I love being able to walk just a few steps into my yard and have a bounty of food available! As summer comes to a close it’s time to harvest the rest of our summer produce and use up all of the delicious veggies and herbs. It’s so easy to make delicious, quick, and healthy meals, like this easy Vegan Pesto Pasta!
I adjusted my oil-free Avocado Basil Pesto recipe by making it more lemony and garlicky, and added it to pasta with fresh and steamed veggies. The method is too easy. While the pasta is boiling, blend the pesto ingredients in a food processor or blender, steam some veggies, and that’s it! You can customize the veggies in this recipe and add things like green peas, zucchini, and much more. I added fresh sliced cherry tomatoes, also from my garden, and topped the pasta with homemade vegan parmesan. This is optional, but I recommend it!
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- 250g pasta
- 10 asparagus spears, cut into pieces, stems discarded
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup basil, packed
- 1/3 cup ripe avocado
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Begin by boiling the pasta of your choice. I love using gluten free brown rice pasta, but you can use your favourite pasta. Any shape will work! Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is boiling, prepare a steamer and steam the asparagus pieces for a few minutes, until it is tender, yet still a bit crisp.
- Prepare the pesto by blending all of the ingredients in a food processor until it is well-combined, but still has a nice texture. If you don’t have a food processor, you could also use a blender.
- When the pasta is finished cooking, drain it. Add the pesto to the pasta and toss to coat. Add the asparagus and fresh cherry tomatoes and stir to combine. Top with fresh basil and vegan parmesan if desired!