Vegan S’more Ice Cream
My book We All Scream For (Vegan) Ice Cream is officially available and I’m beyond thrilled! 40 vegan ice cream recipes that are dairy free, egg free, gluten free, oil free, cholesterol free, and artificial sweetener free. The base of all of the ice creams is nut free, so aside from using nuts as mix-ins for a few recipes, this book is completely suitable for those who are nut free!
This S’more ice cream is my absolute favourite recipe in the entire book. I use the magic of aquafaba to create marshmallow fluff, and swirl it into chocolate ice cream along with graham cracker crumbs. Could this recipe taste any more like summer?
I’m also super thrilled that my S’more ice cream is featured in and on the cover of the new magazine, Ontario Vegans! The summer issue is available now in digital or print! I am really passionate about my country, but also about Ontario. In Ontario we are SO blessed with nature, fresh seasonal foods, and a KILLER vegan scene, which is only growing. This magazine features all that beautiful Ontario has to offer in all things vegan and cruelty free!
Ice Cream Base
- 1 400ml can full-fat coconut milk
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegan graham crackers
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Ice Cream Maker Method:
- Blend all of the ice cream base ingredients, except for the graham crackers, in a blender for a full minute on high speed.
- Churn the mixture in your ice cream maker for 30 minutes (or using manufacturer’s instructions).
- While the ice cream is churning, prepare the marshmallow fluff. Use an electric mixer to beat all of the marshmallow ingredients on high speed for about 25 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
- Pulse the graham crackers in a food processor until you get a mix of crumbs and small pieces.
- When the ice cream is finished churning, prepare loaf pan. Pour half of the ice cream into the pan. Then drizzle half of the marshmallow fluff and sprinkle half of the graham cracker crumbs. Repeat by pouring the rest of the ice cream on top and layering with the rest of the marshmallow fluff and graham crackers.
- Freeze for at least 5-6 hours, depending on your freezer.
No Churn Method:
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can use the no-churn method! Refrigerate the can of coconut milk in the fridge for at least 12 hours.
- Blend the coconut milk, cane sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract in a blender until smooth and combined.
- Pour all of the ice cream into a loaf pan and place a layer of plastic wrap or wax paper directly onto the ice cream. Freeze for around 8 hours, or until frozen. If you can remember to whisk the ice cream every few hours to eliminate ice crystal formation, then this is recommended but not necessary.
- When your ice cream is frozen prepare the marshmallow fluff. Whip all of the marshmallow fluff ingredients together using a mixer for about 25 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Pulse the graham crackers in a food processor until you get a mix of small pieces and crumbs.
- Thaw the ice cream on the counter for just enough time until you are able to scoop it out of the container. Transfer all of the ice cream to a blender and blend until smooth. This is now the texture of ice cream straight from an ice cream maker!
- Pour half of the ice cream into the loaf pan. Drizzle half of the marshmallow fluff onto the ice cream and sprinkle half of the graham cracker crumbs. Repeat by layering the rest of the ice cream on top. Drizzle the rest of the marshmallow fluff and sprinkle the rest of the graham cracker crumbs. Freeze 4-5 hours or until set. Thaw for a few minutes before scooping, if necessary.