Essential Oils are absoloutely fabulous for so many different purposes. Aside from smelling incredible, different essential oils have various different properties that can target different health conditions. While there are many tools that are very important for balancing hormones, and diet and supplementation are absolutely critical, essential oils can be that extra boost to add to your healthy lifestyle routine. Aromatherapy is such a beautiful form of medicine when used correctly. Although some essential oil companies claim to use of ingesting essential oils, I personally do not suggest consuming essential oils internally. Instead, here are my top recommendations for using essential oils:
- Add essential oils into an aromatherapy diffuser
- Dilute essential oils with a carrier oil such as jojoba, coconut, etc… and rub them into your skin
- Pour a few drops into a cup of epsom salts and add them to your bath
- Inhale directly from the bottle
*Note that tea tree and lavender oil are the only 2 oils that are proven to be safe to use directly on the skin. It isn’t that essential oils are not pure or clean, they are just very concentrated sources of plants that can cause a reaction (such as burning or rash) when used directly on the skin. Some other essential oils can be safe to use directly on the skin as well without diluting in a carrier oil. The best way to know if this is safe for you is to place 1 drop on your arm and see if you get any reaction
Essential Oils For Women’s Health
- Can uplift depression and reduce cortisol levels.
- Balances out estrogen production in the body.
- Studies show it can reduce Thyroid TSH levels.
- Is great for women during their menstrual cycles as it helps mood swings and eases cramps and discomfort.
- I personally LOVE an organic blend from Healing Scents that I have found to be safe for me to apply topically without dilution. I apply it directly on my abdomen when I have menstrual cramps and it seriously works to relieve pain and discomfort! There aren’t really many products that can be used topically that actually help for period cramps. It is also a beautiful smelling blend. It contains Clary Sage, Geranium, Chamomile, and Rose. Chamomile, geranium, and rose are also great for reducing stress which is extra helpful during period time.
- Thyme oil can help to balance out progesterone levels by increasing progesterone. Most women suffer from low progesterone levels.
- It is a very potent antioxidant.
- Thyme is excellent for killing bacteria and helping infections. Diffuse thyme in your essential oil diffuser when you are sick to kill bacteria in the air. It is also immune boosting and supports the respiratory system.
- Excellent for increasing testosterone levels in both women and men who suffer from low testosterone.
- Helps to promote mental clarity and promote calm and relaxation.
- Works well as a memory booster.
- Lavender is a very popular essential oil as it can be used for many purpose and smells beautiful.
- It is excellent for stress and anxiety reduction.
- It can help to promote sleep. Getting enough sleep is critical for hormonal balance.
- Can reduce headaches when lavender is inhaled.
- The scent of lemon oil helps to increase concentration and decrease brain fog.
- It is energizing and mood boosting.
- Lemon essential oil is wonderful for use in cleaning products. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Making a homemade all-purpose cleaner with ingredients like lemon essential oil and vinegar will ensure that you aren’t exposing your body to harsh chemicals and xenoestrogens found in conventional chemical cleaners. Xenoestrogens disrupt hormones and are toxic to the body.
- Beneficial for women’s health because it is a natural product that can be used in many aspects of your beauty routine.
- Tea tree is antibacterial and can be used topically to help eliminate acne and blemishes.
- It is anti-fungal and can be used to keep nails beautiful and healthy.
- The smell of frankincense is very uplifting for the mood.
- Frankincense is a beauty secret that is renowned for it’s anti-aging properties. A few drops of this essential oil can be added to your facial moisturizer, toner, cleaner, etc… It helps to repair and regenerate skin cells and reduces the appearance of scars.
- Rosemary is another oil that can be incorporated into your beauty routine. Add 1 or 2 drops to your shampoo each time you wash your hair to promote hair growth for voluminous, luscious locks.
- I absolutely love the feeling of rosemary on my scalp, it’s stimulating and invigorating!
Essential Oil Quality
Always use pure essential oils. Many essential oils are cheap quality and cut with carrier oils, meaning they are not 100% pure. Some companies use practices that are damaging to the environment. When you are purchasing essential oils, do some research ahead of time. Only pure essential oils will actually give you true therapeutic health benefits, so it’s better to spend a little bit of extra money to get the real thing. The best essential oils are:
- Certified organic
- 100% pure and not diluted with any other ingredients
- Sustainable for the environment and sourced responsibly
I personally use Divine Essence essential oils because they have oils that are certified organic, sourced responsibly, and they’re actually really inexpensive! They’re a really great price because they source their ingredients directly from the farmers, eliminating the middle man and therefore 1 less markup of the product. So they’re much cheaper than comparable organic brands. They’re also a Canadian company.
It is important to note that essential oils can be misused! Be cautious with essential oils if you are pregnant or nursing as some essential oils are not safe during this time. Some essential oils are not safe to use around pets. Only use as directed.
For personal nutrition advice or any questions on this article, you can contact me at email@example.com