Holiday Cranberry Kale Salad
A festive salad perfect for the holidays! The star ingredient in this salad is vegan feta cheese. It pairs perfectly with the cranberries and toasted walnuts. You can make this recipe 2 ways. You can make everything fresh and toss it all together and eat it warm. It tastes so good this way! You can also store this salad in the fridge then serve cold when ready. It’s completely up to you!
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa, cooked
- 6 cups packed kale, finely chopped
- 1 apple, diced into small chunks
- 3/4 cup cup dried cranberries, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 batch almond feta cheese, or 1 1/2 cups store bought vegan crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Make your almond feta. This recipe takes less than 1 hour to make. If you want to make this ahead of time and store it in your fridge you can. If you want to make it on the spot, this is good too. You can also use store bought feta but this recipe is so quick, healthy, and tasty!
- While the feta is cooking, cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop up your kale finely and add it to a large salad bowl. Massage the kale with your hands for about a minute. This helps to break down the kale and make it softer and sweeter.
- Toast your walnuts for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F on a baking tray.
- Add the apples, cranberries, and walnuts to the salad bowl.
- When the quinoa has cooled slightly, add it to the bowl.
- When the feta is done cooking, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes. If you want to eat this salad right away, you can add the feta to the salad while it’s still warm. It holds its shape better when it is cooled, so if you have the time, I suggest cooling the feta completely before adding it to the salad so it doesn’t break down as much when it is being tossed.
- Make the dressing by whisking all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle the dressing on the salad and toss everything to combine. If you want to present this salad really beautifully, reserve a bit of the feta to add on top of each salad serving. Serve warm or cool this salad down in the fridge and serve cold.
For personal meal plans or nutrition advice from a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, you can contact me at email@example.com