Spicy Thai Basil Eggplant
- 2/3 350g block extra firm tofu
- 1 cup jasmine rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, sliced
- 1 medium Chinese eggplant, diced into medium chunks
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp corn/tapioca/arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Preheat your oven to 415 degrees F. Line a small tray with parchment and cut your tofu into cubes. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Cook 1 cup of jasmine according to package directions.
- While the tofu and rice are cooking, begin your stir fry. Add water, onion, garlic, and red chili to a large pan and simmer for a few minutes, until everything begins to soften.
- Add the eggplant and bell peppers and water sautee on medium/high heat for about 10 minutes, until the veggies are cooked yet crisp. You may need to add additional water if your water evaporates, so keep an eye on it.
- While the veggies are sauteeing, make your sauce. In a small bowl, add starch and water and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a small pot, add maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and tomato paste. Whisk together and bring to a gentle boil.
- When the sauce is bubbling gently, add the starch mixture to the pot, and keep it on the heat until it begins to gently boil again. The starch will thicken up your mixture considerably. Keep the mixture gently boiling for about 1-2 minutes, then set aside.
- When your veggies are done cooking, turn the heat off. Add the fresh basil and stir to combine.
- When the tofu is done cooking, add it to your stir fry, along with the sauce, and toss everything to coat.
- Serve with rice, and enjoy!
For personal meal plans or nutrition advise from a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org