Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich
Makes 6 Sandwiches
- 6 whole grain buns (I like Silver Hills sprouted buns)
- 2 20 oz cans young green jackfruit (in brine, not in syrup)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- pinch of pepper
- 3/4 – 1 cup your favourite bbq sauce
- 1 medium purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup cashews, unsalted and raw
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup + 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp mustard
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 tsp salt
- Start by making your coleslaw. Shred salad and carrots and toss in a large bowl. Add the salt and pepper and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Blend the rest of the ingredients in a blender. Adjust ingredients to taste if necessary. If you prefer a more sweet dressing, add a small spoon of maple syrup. If it needs more acidity, add a small spoon of apple cider vinegar or mustard.
- Pour the dressing on the salad and toss to combine. You will have leftover coleslaw as this is a big batch. You can eat the rest as is or add sesame seeds and a handful of raisins for a more interesting, flavourful coleslaw.
- Next, make your pulled jack. Drain and rinse canned jackfruit. Place in large bowl.
- Add the spices to the bowl with jackfruit and mix. Use a spoon or your hands to gently break apart the jackfruit until it is a shredded texture.
- Heat a large non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Add the seasoned jackfruit into the pan. Stir the mixture and allow to heat up thoroughly, about 3 minutes.
- Once heated through, add the bbq sauce and stir to coat evenly. Depending on how soft your jackfruit is, you may need only a small amount of bbq sauce. If your jackfruit is more firm, you will need more sauce to coat your jackfruit evenly. Start with 3/4 cup and add more if needed. Once heated and coated evenly, take the pan off the heat.
- Assemble your sandwiches by adding a generous portion of jackfruit and coleslaw onto each bun. Serve and enjoy!