Vegan Carrot Cake
- 2 cups light spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Make your flax eggs by combining the ground flax with water. Mix together and set aside for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a mixer add the coconut sugar, milk, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. You can also do this by hand and whisk the mixture until it is smooth and combined.
- Add the flax eggs and mix again until combined.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined. Don’t over-beat.
- Fold in the shredded carrots.
- Grease 2 24″ round pans with a little bit of coconut oil. Divide the batter equally into both pans. Bake for 23-25 minutes, ensuring a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pans for at least 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare your icing. Blend all icing ingredients in a high powered blender. If you do not have a powerful blender, you will want to soak your cashews for at least a few hours or overnight (depending on your blender).
- When the cake is cooled, spread the icing on one layer, then stack the second cake on top. Spread the rest of the icing on the top layer. If desired, decorate with toasted almond slivers or toasted coconut. Serve and enjoy!
For personal meal plans or nutrition advice from a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org