- 2 cups tightly packed almond flour
- 1 tbsp golden flax meal
- 3 tbsp water
OR you can use a pre-made pie shell.
- 1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 2 lemons (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp agar powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- Begin with making your crust. Combine water and ground flax in a small cup and let it sit for 10 minutes. Add almond flour to a food processor and blend. While it is spinning, pour in the flax mixture until the crust comes together nicely. The dough should be smooth. If it is slightly dry you can add a bit of water, 1 tsp at a time.
- Roll the dough into a ball, and then to a disk shape, with your hands. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap. It doesn’t have to be perfect, as you will use your hands to shape the dough into the pan. Use the plastic wrap to transfer the dough into your pie pan. Spread the dough out very evenly in the pan with your hands. You want a nice even layer for even cooking.
- Bake your pie crust for 15-20 minutes. Ensure the crust does not burn.
- While the crust is baking, make your lemon curd. Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil on the stove. Heat will make the mixture very thick. As soon as it starts to thicken nicely, take it off the heat and transfer the mixture into a bowl to stop the cooking process.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Pour the lemon curd into the pie crust and set aside.
- To make the meringue, pour the aquafaba, cream of tartar, and vanilla into a stand mixer and beat on high until soft peaks begin to form. This will take a few minutes. When soft peaks form and the mixture begins to thicken, add the sugar a little bit at a time. Keep the mixer on high and beat until stiff peaks form. Pour the meringue onto the pie evenly. Use a spatula to create peaks, or any other desired design.
- Turn your oven on broil. Place your pie in the oven and cook until the meringue begins to brown and firm up. Do not overcook as this mixture can burn very quickly. Watch the pie carefully! This process will only take a few minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven. Let it cool. Cut, serve, and most importantly, enjoy!
For personal meal plans or nutrition advice from a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, you can contact me at email@example.com