Vegan Chocolate Salted Caramel Squares
9 super clean ingredients for a super quick and naturally sweetened decadent treat!
Yields: 12 Squares
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 3/4 cup – 1 cup soft dates (such as deglet noor or medjool)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup soft dates (such as deglet noor or medjool)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened, unsalted almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 200ml full fat coconut milk (half of 1 400ml can)
- 1 cup dark chocolate or chocolate chips (vegan)
- Add all of the ingredients for the crust into the food processor and blend with the S blade. If you have hard dates, you can soak them ahead of time in some warm water to achieve a soft consistency. Otherwise use soft deglet noor or medjool dates. Blend until the mixture is crumbly. It should be nice and sticky. If it is too sticky, add a few more walnuts. If it is too dry, add more dates until you achieve the right consistency.
- Take the crust and press it into a 9×13 inch pan, spreading evenly.
- Add all of the caramel ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the mixture on top the crust and spread evenly. If you like a really salty caramel, add another pinch or so of salt.
- Pour the dark chocolate chips or chunks into a medium bowl and set aside. Pour 200ml of full fat coconut milk into a sauce pan and bring to a very gentle boil. Do not over boil. As soon as it is hot, take it off the heat (I use a 400ml can of coconut milk and use half. Only use canned coconut milk, not coconut milk from a carton!). Pour the hot milk over the chocolate and whisk to combine. When the mixture is smooth, pour it over the caramel layer and spread evenly. Refrigerate or freeze until the chocolate layer is mostly firm(it will never be very hard, it will still be slightly soft, but not liquid).
- Cut into squares and enjoy! Store in the fridge.
For personal meal plans or nutrition advice from a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, you can contact me at email@example.com