These double chocolate chip cookies are soft and crispy, and completely flourless thanks to the magic ingredient aquafaba. Aquafaba is the water from a can of chickpeas, or the liquid from cooking raw chickpeas. This recipe has 8 simple ingredients and only takes 20 minutes to make. A super simple, quick, and healthier dessert that’ll please all!
Makes: 22 large cookies
- 2/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of himalayan salt
- 1 cup all natural unsalted almond butter
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (chickpea water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan mini chocolate chips (if you use large chocolate chips you’ll want about 3/4 cup or more)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cacao, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt. I recommend sifting all of these ingredients beforehand as coconut sugar often has many large clumps. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond butter, aquafaba, and vanilla until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fully combine until the mixture is a nice doughy texture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop the dough into balls (about 2 tbsp per ball) and place on baking sheet a few inches apart from each other. This mixture will spread very nicely so only allow up to 12 cookies per baking sheet and spread them apart nicely.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. In the oven the cookies will rise well, but once removed they will fall into nice thin and crispy, yet soft cookies. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes. Delicately transfer to a wire rack to for further cooling. Once cooled, serve and enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from Best Gluten Free Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies from zenanzataar.com. I removed some of the sugar and reduced the amount of chocolate chips and vanilla extract as well. Thank you so much for the inspiration, your cookies are fabulous!
For personal meal plans or nutrition advice from a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org