These gingersnaps are perfectly spiced with fresh grated ginger. The perfect treat for Santa on Christmas eve!
- 2 cups organic whole wheat flour or light spelt flour
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon all-spice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (or 2 teaspoons ground ginger)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/8 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, spices, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, using a mixer, beat together the coconut oil and cane sugar until combined.
- Add the molasses, maple syrup, milk, and applesauce to the liquid mixture and beat until combined, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the dry mixture to the liquid mixture and fold with a spatula to combine. If the mixture is sticky, add a little bit of flour at a time to achieve a smooth dough (too much flour will make the mixture stiff, so add the flour gradually).
- Create a dough ball and cover it with plastic wrap. Set it aside in the fridge for a few hours to chill. If you’re in a rush you can put it in the freezer for 2 hours.
- Line a 4 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set the oven to 325 F.
- Cut your dough into 4 pieces. Take one piece and set the rest back in the fridge.
- Lightly sift flour onto your counter. Using a rolling pin, roll out your dough evenly until it is about 1/8″ thick, or a little bit thicker. Cut out desired shapes with your favourite cookie cutters. Place them onto your baking sheets. Repeat this process with the rest of the dough until you’re finished.
- Bake the gingersnaps for 10-12 minutes. Keep in mind that a cookie sheet on the bottom rack will cook much quicker since the cookies are thin, so keep an eye on them and take them out sooner if needed!
- Allow cookies to cool on a wire rack before serving. Don’t forget to save some for Santa!
For personal meal plans or nutrition advice from a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, you can contact me at email@example.com