This is a super comforting soup on any fall or winter day. It’s made of whole, healthy ingredients and it only takes 45 minutes to make!
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 6 cups butternut squash, cubed (approx 2 medium squashes)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 5.5oz can coconut milk (not light)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 5 cups chickpeas
- Heat a large pot. Add 1/2 cup of water or 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrot to the pot. Saute for about 5 minutes, until onion becomes translucent.
- Add cubed butternut squash, vegetable broth, coconut milk, and all spices. Cook for 15-20 minutes on low, or until squash is fork tender.
- When soup is cooked, blend the entire contents of the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender. You may need to do this in 2 or 3 batches if you’re using a regular blender.
- Once the soup is blended, move it back to the pot and simmer on low.
- Add cooked chickpeas. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro (both are delicious options!). Optional to garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.