This recipe is a vegan rendition of classic pulled pork. The secret to this recipe is a tropical fruit called Jackfruit. When eaten fresh, jackfruit has been described as tasting like bubblegum. However, the canned version of the fruit has a very neutral taste, and has the perfect texture to recreate pulled pork. You can find canned jackfruit in your local asian grocery store. Be sure to buy young green jackfruit, not jackfruit in syrup!
- 2 20 oz cans young green jackfruit
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- pinch of pepper
- 3/4 – 1.5 cups your favourite bbq sauce
- Drain and rinse canned jackfruit. Place in large bowl.
- Add the spices to the bowl with jackfruit and mix. Use a spoon or your hands to gently break apart the jackfruit until it is a shredded texture.
- Heat a large non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Add the seasoned jackfruit into the pan. Stir the mixture and allow to heat up thoroughly, about 3 minutes.
- Once heated through, add the bbq sauce and stir to coat evenly. Depending on how soft your jackfruit is, you may need only a small amount of bbq sauce. If your jackfruit is more firm, you will need more sauce to coat your jackfruit evenly. Start with 3/4 cup and add more if needed. Once heated and coated evenly, take the pan off the heat.
Serve in place of any recipe that calls for pulled pork. This recipe is great for sandwiches and tacos.
For personal meal plans or nutrition advice from a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org